Skip to main content

God's Love-A Little Dance Here, A Little Spanking There..

There are moments I believe, that are reserved only for those who get to raise daughters. My five year old daughter gives me this privilege.
The other day I came from work all tired and agitated. As I came round a corner that leads to the house my little girl spotted me some distance away. She gave me a mischievous look and then turned her back to me as only a woman can.
Without uttering a single word she paused like someone preparing for a grand performance. Then she gingerly lifted one leg off the ground and with her other foot planted firmly on the ground, she twirled this way and that way, all the while waving her little hands in the air. Her eyes still carried that mischievous glint and every so often she looked my way to make sure that I was watching. It took me a while to figure out what she was doing.
It was a ballet dance. I was the audience. And yes, it was the beautiful thing ever!J

The following day did not turn out so well. As we left a friend’s house my daughter threw a mighty tantrum because I wouldn’t let her watch T.V. The house rules are that tantrums attract ‘spanking-level’ punishment. As soon as we were out of range, I reminded her of our little altercation and told her that as when we got home, she was to go straight to her room and wait for me there.
 At home we talked about the transgression and after agreeing on the severity of the crime, she got her punishment. She cried for the whole neighbourhood to hear. I gave her a minute to calm down and then stretched out my hands to her. She quickly ran to me as we consoled together (Yap, its hard administering discipline to your own daughter). With her ensconced in my arms, we talked about the transgression once more and she vowed never to do it again.
Then like a light-bulb which had just been switched on, she launched into lengthy account of the day’s events. I listened and asked questions here and there. By the time we got downstairs there was no indication that a few moments before, I had just administered a painful punishment.
Such moments always remind me of the psalmist’s words:

As far as the east is from the west, so
far has he removed our transgressions
from us. As a father has compassion on his
children, so the Lord has compassion on
those who fear him.. Psalm 103:12-13

Now I know some of you do not feel me but ‘isorait’, I will still go on to the object lesson:
1.   God doesn’t keep grudges.
This is the mystery of forgiveness. When we confess our sins, we are simply agreeing with him that what we have done is wrong. When we do this He ‘accepts and moves’ on-if you get my drift that is. 1 John 1:9
Like my daughter who quickly moves on to other things after gaining the assurance of forgiveness, we too need to learn to accept and move on.
2.   At times He determines that even though he has forgiven us, our transgression requires some form of chastisement-Heb.12:5-6.

The disciplinary action he takes against us is not to quench his anger but rather to straighten us out for the future. On this score I believe that God and I are on the same page; I discipline my daughter with the hope that she can catch the lesson so that in future, she will respond much better under similar circumstances.

3.   Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, when God punishes us he anticipates that the moment of pain will draw us even closer to him-Heb.12:10-11 

We ought to respond to God’s discipline in a way that mirrors my daughter’s reaction. She ran to me for comfort once she received a re-affirmation of my love. You can imagine my consternation had she spurned my gesture of acceptance.
God too, keeps his arms outstretched in our moments of pain. I think he gets puzzled when a son or daughter of his turns and runs away into the arms of the sinful world during times of trial. 
So then;
Q: How far has God removed our transgressions from us?
A: As far as the east is from the west…
Q: How is God’s attitude toward us when we fail?
A: As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him
                                        Love him.
                                        Fear him.
                                        Run to him!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr

Benny Hinn _My Testimony

Why Benny Hinn? Someone asked me this question last week. Today let me endeavor to give you the background story to this, as a member of the organizing secretariat. Sometime last year, a group of servants of God was praying, seeking the face of God as to why the foretold revival in Kenya seemed never to really come, and even the massive crusades we used to have at Uhuru Park seemed to have quietly fizzled out. It was obvious also that there were no megachurches in Kenya and any servant of God who tried rising was hit with scandal after scandal. Why? Our preachers never really get invited to top platforms internationally, our Gospel musicians are mostly only local while Nigeria, Tz, even Rwanda are shaking the continent. The Lord answered them. Our grievous sin had closed the heavens over us. And this sin was how we, as a nation, had treated the servants of God who had been sent here with these graces. They all left in tears, shaking dust off their feet at Kenya. Pst Benny Hinn came t

MyRun Chronicles: I Ran, Stumbled And Fell

After many days of lethargy, self-excuses, and downright bad behaviour , I returned to the road. Ok, it wasn't a road in the real sense of the word but rather a series of grassy paths and dusty trails peppered with rocky inclines.  I like the challenge of off-road running 🏃‍♂️ . It makes me feel like Rambo. Do you know Rambo? Of course, you don't, you millennial.  Well, Rambo was our action-hero. A grotesquely muscular man with dark, curly hair. His hair though, was a little too long for a man. Anyway, he would stalk, strategize, and then blast his enemies into oblivion with huge guns. Later in life, I realized that he was probably a product of American propaganda against their perceived geopolitical threats, mostly the Russians. Rambo was always sweating, and I noted with a certain level of satisfaction that I too was sweating. There was no jungle that Rambo couldn't conquer and running in the less-trodden paths makes me feel like Rambo.  I like to run in familiar pla