Skip to main content

Find Strength Again



"David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the LORD his God." (1 Sam.30:6)
David was isolated. The men under him blamed him bitterly for what they perceived as his failure to secure their families and property. They had gone out on a war expedition only to be turned back by the Philistine commanders in whose country they had sought refuge. As they arrived home they found that an enemy had struck in the absence. Their dwellings had been razed to the ground.  All their property was gone and their women and children taken captive.
David was greatly distressed.
Then in the midst of this doom and gloom we are told;


...but David found strength in the Lord.


What does this mean?
Simply that he pulled away from the men and from his present circumstances and turned to God instead.
When he shifted his focus from his predicament and turned to God he was able to re-establish his trust in God. He experienced a great release from despondency.  His strength was thus renewed. 


This was an act of the will and you too can do it. In distressing circumstances you can determine to look away from the source of your trouble and turn to God in prayer. This is an ability that God has given to all his children.
Like David, tarrying in prayer will lift your gloom. It will restore your confidence. You will discover anew that you are not fighting alone. God is on your side.
The apostle Paul talked of this when he wrote;


6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phi.4:6-7)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr...

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part II

At the turn of the year,  our popular comedian, Churchill  ‘partnered’ with the equally popular songbird Christina Shusho, to deliver what was to be an epic cross-over combo of comedy and music. I was a little confused when he started the show with a barrage of popular ‘prophetic’ pronouncements.  Like a proper Kenyan, I dutifully (sic) received mine. It went something like this; “This is the year of your double portion!” And just like that, I received my first false prophecy of 2024. The scriptures have several guardrails around prophecies. First, because those who proclaim them often invoke the Name of God. And God doesn’t like to be misrepresented. Secondly, people generally take prophecies seriously and shape their lives around what has been spoken. Thirdly, there can be at least three sources of revelatory words: The Holy Spirit of God (2 Peter 1:21) The human mind (Jeremiah 14:14*) Evil spirits (Acts 16:16-18, 1 John 4:1) Therefore, it is impor...

My Run Chronicles: In The Footsteps Of Eliud Kipchoge

1818 hrs: I got home in a rush. I was determined to make the most of the evening. It had been nearly two weeks since my last run. I couldn’t miss this one again. Casting off my work clothes, I hurriedly donned my running gear. In no time I was off to a brisk start, anxious to finish before darkness set in.  It had rained all week except the previous night. That was a good sign. The trails would neither be muddy nor dusty—a perfect evening for jogging.  The shorter, less adventurous routes would do for the day.   Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. (Prov.4:26) 2km:  My legs signaled their first complaint. I was feeling heavier than usual. My breathing was getting more and more labored. I hadn't gained weight. I don’t gain weight. Or had I? "Must be the two inert weeks" I mumbled under my breath. As I turned a corner, a bodaboda (motorbike taxi) guy came into view. He waved vigorously and shouted, "mkimbizi!" (runner!). I was n...