Skip to main content

Keep Hope Alive

Okonkwo remembered that tragic year with a cold shiver throughout the rest of his life. It always surprised him when he thought of it later that he did not sink under the load of despair. He knew that he was a fierce fighter, but that year had been enough to break the heart of a lion.
"Since I survived that year," he always said, "I shall survive anything." Things Fall Apart_Chinua Achebe

I heard someone say that when we are long gone, our great
grandchildren will say of our time;

Their world was suddenly stricken by a strange disease.
It had no cure.
Many fell under its unrelenting grip.

When it had run its course, men clasped their hands,
glad that they had survived.
From the chocking confines of their homes they emerged,
wearied by months of being hemmed in.

They looked up and sighed,

At least the sun was still there. But then,
some picked up guns.
A great battle broke out. No one could stop the war.

Many were killed,
much more than they had thought possible.
And when they were done, they looked at each other,
Ashamed.
For so many had died, for so little gain.

Then they looked up again, their eyes straining to see,
Their aching hearts yearning for relief.
But alas!
From one horizon to another,
one could only hear,
The rambling gathering of a fiercer storm.

My concerns are;
Will our story end well or will we be pummelled into
oblivion?
Will our children enjoy the fruits of our labor or will the
scorching fires of adversity wither our efforts?
Will we ever rise again to peace, health and,
lower 'chapo' prices?

My questions remain;
Who will bring us hope?
Who will bring us peace?
Who will give us sleep and save us from anxious mornings?

Who will call us back to sanity?
Who will give us respite?
Who will say, " Enough! Give them a little relief."

Perhaps, with no relief in sight, our answers can only be
found in prayer. The other day I saw a man falling to his knees and pray. A man of few words, even in the presence of his maker.
"I have no hope,
I have no peace,
Beyond that which,
You only-
Can give me!"


It was a short but profound prayer. The image of that man casting off all restraint and crying out to his God stayed with me a long time. I thought to myself, "This man, though he has lost much, has his heart in the right place." He will find peace for Christ is,

The Prince of Peace(Isaiah 9:6 ).

I also thought to myself, " This man has put God in the
right place".
He has a steadfast faith in the capability of God to protect
and maintain him at the worst of times.
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” Hebrews 13:5b-6

"I have no hope, I have no peace beyond that which, you
only, can give," he said. 
From the depths of his being, he poured out his heart to God. He had no other to lean upon. It was all God or all nothing. 

So let me say this now; it will be harder still but the sooner you get to this man’s point, the better. You see my friend,
When you will have nothing to lose and only your faith to keep, then you will truly be, A Free Man!

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
And finally,
Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr

Benny Hinn _My Testimony

Why Benny Hinn? Someone asked me this question last week. Today let me endeavor to give you the background story to this, as a member of the organizing secretariat. Sometime last year, a group of servants of God was praying, seeking the face of God as to why the foretold revival in Kenya seemed never to really come, and even the massive crusades we used to have at Uhuru Park seemed to have quietly fizzled out. It was obvious also that there were no megachurches in Kenya and any servant of God who tried rising was hit with scandal after scandal. Why? Our preachers never really get invited to top platforms internationally, our Gospel musicians are mostly only local while Nigeria, Tz, even Rwanda are shaking the continent. The Lord answered them. Our grievous sin had closed the heavens over us. And this sin was how we, as a nation, had treated the servants of God who had been sent here with these graces. They all left in tears, shaking dust off their feet at Kenya. Pst Benny Hinn came t

MyRun Chronicles: I Ran, Stumbled And Fell

After many days of lethargy, self-excuses, and downright bad behaviour , I returned to the road. Ok, it wasn't a road in the real sense of the word but rather a series of grassy paths and dusty trails peppered with rocky inclines.  I like the challenge of off-road running 🏃‍♂️ . It makes me feel like Rambo. Do you know Rambo? Of course, you don't, you millennial.  Well, Rambo was our action-hero. A grotesquely muscular man with dark, curly hair. His hair though, was a little too long for a man. Anyway, he would stalk, strategize, and then blast his enemies into oblivion with huge guns. Later in life, I realized that he was probably a product of American propaganda against their perceived geopolitical threats, mostly the Russians. Rambo was always sweating, and I noted with a certain level of satisfaction that I too was sweating. There was no jungle that Rambo couldn't conquer and running in the less-trodden paths makes me feel like Rambo.  I like to run in familiar pla