Skip to main content

What Have You Taken From The Pandemic? Adversity Comes With Instructions In Hand

There is a precious sliver of scripture that Christians like to quote on their WhatsApp and Instagram: " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"
But can they?
To gauge ourselves, let’s see what was going through Paul's mind when he wrote that statement. The first hint is in the context of the passage. The text is ensconced in a portion of Paul's letter expressing gratitude to the Philippian church for past support even as he makes another appeal for future help (Philippians 4:10-19). 
“I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me.
Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.
I am not saying this because I am in need,
for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything through (Christ) who gives me strength."

What had the man gone through for him to have concluded, “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation”? Knowing this will give us another hint as to his frame of mind.
If you follow this aspect of Paul’s life, your study will inevitably lead you to another letter that he wrote to a different church- the church at Corinth where he explained; 

I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep;
I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; 
I have been cold and naked. 2 Corinthians 11:27

Sleep deprivation, hunger, thirst, and exposure to the elements. Can you imagine these? Memories of these difficult moments were coursing through his mind as he confidently asserted; " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

On the contrary, many who quote this verse do not say it in the context of real need. Instead, most quote it in line with the ‘name-it-claim-it’ mantra of the popular Word-Of-Faith Movement.
What a far cry from what Paul meant to convey!

Dear friend, let me say this; regardless of your social status, we are all going to face times of want in ways that many have never experienced before. Why do I say this?
The pandemic has disrupted many aspects of the economy and forced businesses to do things in a different way. This has led to a steep rise in the prices of essential goods not just in Kenya but the world over. In addition to this, unchecked profiteering by some has exacerbated the situation. The war in Ukraine will only make things worse. However, all of this is not new. Looking at history we see similar trends. 

Take the example of the company that makes VapoRub. As the Spanish flu ravaged the world between 1918-1920 it conducted itself in a clearly unethical (but wildly profitable) manner. During the pandemic, the company ran several advertisements dubbed the "Spanish Influenza Series,". Some of them went something like this;
How To Use Vick's VapoRub In Treating Spanish Influenza: The Influenza Germs Attack the Lining of the Air Passages. When VapoRub is Applied Over Throat and Chest the Medicated Vapors Loosen the Phlegm, Open the Air Passages and Stimulate the Mucous Membrane to Throw Off the Germs.
Of course there was no scientific evidence that VapoRub aided the expulsion of the flu virus from the body. This, however, did not stop the company from marketing VapoRub so well until they were unable to keep up with demand. Pray, haven't we seen the same thing with big Pharma and the emergent covid millionaires?

Again, just like now, new technologies sprouted after the Spanish flu. However, their benefit was dampened by growing inflation and the after-effects of a war economy courtesy of World War 1. As a result, the post-pandemic economy was characterised with wide swathes of vulnerable populations becoming increasingly marginalised. The gap between the haves and have-nots grew wider and wider. We certainly hope that the Ukraine crisis will not turn out to be World War III.

Considering that we all face the prospect of scarcity, how ought we to prepare ourselves? Paul says that through his hardships, he acquired a new life skill- the secret of being content in any and every situation. The fact that he calls it a secret implies that this life-skill is not obvious to all. 
So how can we acquire the ability to weather the difficult days ahead without losing our heads? 

1. Start practicing how to live on less than what you actually earn or have.

2. Start training your children (and wife) to do number 1.

3. Pastors, prepare your congregations for the times ahead otherwise you will lose many of your flock.

4. Make a habit of praying in any and every situation. If you did this, God promises to give you a kind of peace that will keep you from the killing effects of unchecked stress. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but
in everything, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests
to God.
And the peace of God, which
transcends all understanding, will guard
your hearts and your minds in Christ
Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

5. Even while being mindful of events around you, avoid as much as possible, the constant stream of negative information from your T.V. and social media. Instead, as Paul advised the Philippians, consume positive material as much as you can. Make deliberate effort to tune your mind to good thoughts and to tune out harmful thoughts. The Bible gives a useful criteria.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable--if anything is
excellent or praiseworthy--think about
such things. Philippians 4:8
6. Following the example of the Philippians, look out for the truly needy and commit a part of your earnings to supporting them. I say this with great caution considering the conmanship that goes on in many of our churches. Simply giving (or tithing) does not discharge you of responsibility. God cares how you give (James 1:27, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 12:32-34). 
If you do this right then you may just qualify for Paul's blessing-another verse that we like to quote to each other;
And my God will meet all your needs
according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus
See how he builds it up from what the Philippians had done for him. Will you do the same and enjoy God's blessing even in the midst of trouble? 
Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.
Moreover, as you Philippians know, in
the early days of your acquaintance with
the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia,
not one church shared with me in the matter
of giving and receiving, except you only;
for even when I was in Thessalonica,
you sent me aid again and again when I
was in need.
Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am
looking for what may be credited to your
account. I have received full payment and even
more; I am amply supplied, now that I 
have received from Epaphroditus the
gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering,
an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.
And my God will meet all your needs
according to his glorious riches in Christ
Jesus.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr

Benny Hinn _My Testimony

Why Benny Hinn? Someone asked me this question last week. Today let me endeavor to give you the background story to this, as a member of the organizing secretariat. Sometime last year, a group of servants of God was praying, seeking the face of God as to why the foretold revival in Kenya seemed never to really come, and even the massive crusades we used to have at Uhuru Park seemed to have quietly fizzled out. It was obvious also that there were no megachurches in Kenya and any servant of God who tried rising was hit with scandal after scandal. Why? Our preachers never really get invited to top platforms internationally, our Gospel musicians are mostly only local while Nigeria, Tz, even Rwanda are shaking the continent. The Lord answered them. Our grievous sin had closed the heavens over us. And this sin was how we, as a nation, had treated the servants of God who had been sent here with these graces. They all left in tears, shaking dust off their feet at Kenya. Pst Benny Hinn came t

MyRun Chronicles: I Ran, Stumbled And Fell

After many days of lethargy, self-excuses, and downright bad behaviour , I returned to the road. Ok, it wasn't a road in the real sense of the word but rather a series of grassy paths and dusty trails peppered with rocky inclines.  I like the challenge of off-road running 🏃‍♂️ . It makes me feel like Rambo. Do you know Rambo? Of course, you don't, you millennial.  Well, Rambo was our action-hero. A grotesquely muscular man with dark, curly hair. His hair though, was a little too long for a man. Anyway, he would stalk, strategize, and then blast his enemies into oblivion with huge guns. Later in life, I realized that he was probably a product of American propaganda against their perceived geopolitical threats, mostly the Russians. Rambo was always sweating, and I noted with a certain level of satisfaction that I too was sweating. There was no jungle that Rambo couldn't conquer and running in the less-trodden paths makes me feel like Rambo.  I like to run in familiar pla