Skip to main content

Earth Is Hard, Pick Your Hard -II

 Lay down the burden of your heart,

I know you'll never miss it.
Show your Father where it hurts,
And let your Father lift it.
watch here

Or if you prefer, here is the equally lovely ORIGINAL VERSION   by Jesse Winchester, which I must one day sing to my daughter too.

For bed-time stories, we were reading scripture with the kids and got to the story of young King Solomon conversing with God. 

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” 1 King 3.5 

Thinking that this could be an opportune time to find out their hidden concerns in life, I turned first to my son and asked, “If you were Solomon, what would you have asked for?”

“Uhmm, I think I would want to be king forever!”

“And why would you want to be king forever?” I probed.

“Dad, do you think President Uhuru can afford to have pizza whenever he wants?”

I knew where this was heading and so I quickly turned to my bubbly daughter hoping for a more ‘serious’ conversation.

“And you baby girl, what would you have asked for?”

Without missing a beat, she exclaimed, “I will ask for a chocolate-chip factory and unlimited lollipops for the rest of my life!” 

A wild debate about the frequency of buying pizzas and chocolates promptly ensued. After a few minutes, and not without a little difficulty, I finally managed to steer the conversation into a more sober discussion on what to ask for, who to ask when and when. Needless to say, that very day, I learnt that while I worry about covid, loans, business, work and the end of the world, my little ones are primarily concerned about the regularity of certain snacks and meals in their day-to-day life. 

You see my friend, each of us carries a burden. It might not be the same kind of burden from one person to the next, but it is a burden nevertheless. As He interacted with people, Jesus could discern that many were burdened with various loads of life. And as with the miracles for the sick and hungry, and deliverance for the spiritually oppressed, he had a ready solution for our burdens. 

“Take my yoke upon you,” He said, “and learn from me… and you will find rest for your souls.”

In all of history Jesus is acknowledged as the greatest personality who ever lived. We can learn from Jesus by obeying His teachings and by copying the pattern of His life. However, if we are to learn from Him we must answer the question, how did Jesus deal with the burdens of His life?

Jesus had a very public life and if He walked the earth today, He would probably be a controversial public figure. Why?
With His strong counter-cultural views and authoritative demeanour, Jesus would likely be at constant logger-heads with most of our beloved religious leaders. There would also be some pretty wild speculations among religious pundits regarding His 'disappearing' moments.

"He says that He goes off to pray", they would say. Why doesn’t he pray in church like everyone else? Does he have to pray in secluded places every so often and for such lengths of time?”
“He does look like he prays to a strange God.” They would surmise.

“No wonder he is so unconventional. We'll soon know, but it certainly looks like he is forming a cult!” They would conclude.

When we read the gospel of Luke, we notice that there is particular focus on Jesus’ prayer life. Sample these.
• But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. 5:16
• Now it was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer with God. 6:12
• Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?” 19:18
• About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 19:28
• One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” 11:1
• He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed... 22:41
From these we can deduce that Jesus busy, public life was supported by very private moments of faithful and consistent prayer. The book of Hebrews confirms that Jesus tackled His most trying moments by retreating to prayer.
While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God. Hebrews 5:7

I have long held that this is where Jesus' secret lay. I also think that this is where we fail the most. Our too little times of prayer may only obtain the barest of spiritual resources from our heavenly Father. Think of it this way, if the Son of God spent a good portion of His earthly life taking His anxieties in prayer to the one who could save Him, why do we think that we can get by with less?

Tell me, what is your cumulative prayer-time for last week? A wise man said; “Pray when you don’t feel like praying, and then pray some more when you feel like praying!”
How many times, you ask?

David prayed;
As for me, I call to God,
and the LORD saves me.
Evening, morning and noon
I cry out in distress,
and he hears my voice.
I tell my kids that the most basic pattern of prayer is to pray at least three times a day. Evening, morning and noontime like David and Daniel (Daniel 6:10). When we invest too little of our time or are indifferent to God, He leaves us to our own devices.
However, when we strive to create times and spaces where we consistently go to Him as Jesus did, we will learn how not to carry heavy loads around. We shall find that ‘rest’ that our souls subconsciously crave. As with Jesus, this is possible even in the midst of seemingly insurmountable demands.

So once again;
Earth is hard.
Will you take Jesus hard or,
Will you take your own hard?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr

Benny Hinn _My Testimony

Why Benny Hinn? Someone asked me this question last week. Today let me endeavor to give you the background story to this, as a member of the organizing secretariat. Sometime last year, a group of servants of God was praying, seeking the face of God as to why the foretold revival in Kenya seemed never to really come, and even the massive crusades we used to have at Uhuru Park seemed to have quietly fizzled out. It was obvious also that there were no megachurches in Kenya and any servant of God who tried rising was hit with scandal after scandal. Why? Our preachers never really get invited to top platforms internationally, our Gospel musicians are mostly only local while Nigeria, Tz, even Rwanda are shaking the continent. The Lord answered them. Our grievous sin had closed the heavens over us. And this sin was how we, as a nation, had treated the servants of God who had been sent here with these graces. They all left in tears, shaking dust off their feet at Kenya. Pst Benny Hinn came t

MyRun Chronicles: I Ran, Stumbled And Fell

After many days of lethargy, self-excuses, and downright bad behaviour , I returned to the road. Ok, it wasn't a road in the real sense of the word but rather a series of grassy paths and dusty trails peppered with rocky inclines.  I like the challenge of off-road running 🏃‍♂️ . It makes me feel like Rambo. Do you know Rambo? Of course, you don't, you millennial.  Well, Rambo was our action-hero. A grotesquely muscular man with dark, curly hair. His hair though, was a little too long for a man. Anyway, he would stalk, strategize, and then blast his enemies into oblivion with huge guns. Later in life, I realized that he was probably a product of American propaganda against their perceived geopolitical threats, mostly the Russians. Rambo was always sweating, and I noted with a certain level of satisfaction that I too was sweating. There was no jungle that Rambo couldn't conquer and running in the less-trodden paths makes me feel like Rambo.  I like to run in familiar pla