Skip to main content

Manasseh


Manasseh had two notable things that characterised his rule as outlined in II Kings 21.

1) He ascended the throne as a teenager and went on to become Israel's longest serving king.

2) He turned out to be one of the vilest individuals in the chronology of Israel's godless leaders.

Manasseh desecrated the temple and led the nation in worshipping Molech who required child sacrifice, Ashera the fertility god whose veneration comprised disgusting sexual perversions and dabbled in astrology among other forbidden things.
In addition he committed murder at a scale never seen before and had spiritists, mediums and sorcerers as advisors.

As a result of his sins with which he led the nation astray, God determined to destroy the Jewish nation. Eventually they were exiled to Babylon.

Manasseh himself was captured by Assyrian commanders who tortured and humiliated him by dragging him into exile with hooks pierced through his nose.
Here was a man condemned to pain and death for heinous crimes against man and God.

However there is an interesting twist to this sad story.

The Bible records in 2 Chronicles 33:12

_In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers._

Now if there is anything that confounds 👀friend and foe in God's circles, it's His (and I say this with hands covering my face) *weakness* towards the wicked man who humbles himself before Him. Remember wicked  king Ahab and the Naboth saga in 1 Kings 21?

And so in a surprising turn of events, it is recorded that...
_...And when he prayed to him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the Lord is God_. 2 Chronicles 33:13

What do you make of this?

For me, it evokes memories of an old hymn;🎶

O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,🎵
To every believer, the promise of God;
🎶🎵
*The vilest offender who truly believes,*
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives.

—Fanny J. Crosby (1820-1915)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr...

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part II

At the turn of the year,  our popular comedian, Churchill  ‘partnered’ with the equally popular songbird Christina Shusho, to deliver what was to be an epic cross-over combo of comedy and music. I was a little confused when he started the show with a barrage of popular ‘prophetic’ pronouncements.  Like a proper Kenyan, I dutifully (sic) received mine. It went something like this; “This is the year of your double portion!” And just like that, I received my first false prophecy of 2024. The scriptures have several guardrails around prophecies. First, because those who proclaim them often invoke the Name of God. And God doesn’t like to be misrepresented. Secondly, people generally take prophecies seriously and shape their lives around what has been spoken. Thirdly, there can be at least three sources of revelatory words: The Holy Spirit of God (2 Peter 1:21) The human mind (Jeremiah 14:14*) Evil spirits (Acts 16:16-18, 1 John 4:1) Therefore, it is impor...

My Run Chronicles: In The Footsteps Of Eliud Kipchoge

1818 hrs: I got home in a rush. I was determined to make the most of the evening. It had been nearly two weeks since my last run. I couldn’t miss this one again. Casting off my work clothes, I hurriedly donned my running gear. In no time I was off to a brisk start, anxious to finish before darkness set in.  It had rained all week except the previous night. That was a good sign. The trails would neither be muddy nor dusty—a perfect evening for jogging.  The shorter, less adventurous routes would do for the day.   Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. (Prov.4:26) 2km:  My legs signaled their first complaint. I was feeling heavier than usual. My breathing was getting more and more labored. I hadn't gained weight. I don’t gain weight. Or had I? "Must be the two inert weeks" I mumbled under my breath. As I turned a corner, a bodaboda (motorbike taxi) guy came into view. He waved vigorously and shouted, "mkimbizi!" (runner!). I was n...