Skip to main content

Will You Buy Me A Chimney?

1 kings 3:10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 


Some time ago I was away from home for two weeks. Whenever I called home my four year old daughter would make sure that she had her turn at the phone. I am certain that she was completely unaware that the tenor and thrust of our conversations were almost always the same. They went something like this; 
Her: Daddy, where are you? 
Me: I have travelled for work 
Her: Daddy, you are taking (soooo) long. 
Me: I will be back soon. What did you do today? 
Her: Daddy are you far away? 
Me: Yes, but on Sunday I will be back. What did you do today? 
Then she would sweetly ask. 
Her: Daddy, will you bring me a present? 
Me: Yes, I will get you a present. 
Thereafter I would overhear her excitedly telling her brother that I would buy her 'present for a princess!' Whatever that is. 
Monotonous as they were, I would actually look forward to having these conversations with my daughter. And even though I had no idea what she meant by 'present', her requests and non-response to my own questions were made funny because of her young age. 
However can you imagine the effect this same conversation would have if it were coming from an 18 year old? At best the 18 year old would be considered annoying, at worst immature.  
Most Christians love to apply the famous words of Jesus in prayer; 
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matt.7:7
Indeed this sounds a lot like what God told Solomon: 
 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” 1 Kings 3:5 
Contrary to popular opinion this is not a blank cheque given to every Christian to ask for whatever they fancy. Some of our requests are downright immature. Others are plainly annoying. A few even embarrass the angels who have to deliver them to the King of Kings. 
How we ask and what we ask for matters a lot to God. Our asking shows whether we have learnt to love and honor Him and whether we want to be friends. He truly wants to be loved and honored by your life. And He does want to be friends. It’s just the way God is. 
When King Solomon prayed before God, the Lord was pleased with what he asked for. Contrast this with the following story from the bible. 
Now Adonijah, the son of Haggith, went to Bathsheba, Solomon’s mother. Bathsheba asked him, “Do you come peacefully?” He answered, “Yes, peacefully.”  16  "Now I have one request to make of you. Do not refuse me.” “You may make it,” she said.   17 So he continued, “Please ask King Solomon—he will not refuse you—to give me Abishag the Shunammite as my wife.” (Full story in I Kings 2:13-25)
The long and short of it is that Adonijah paid dearly for his lack of discretion. Abishag was his late father's concubine and when word of his request reached the King 👑, he had him executed. 
As you reflect on what this might be mean for some of what we ask for in prayer, let me tell you another interesting moment I had with my daughter. 
I was walking out of Kenyatta market hand in hand with my daughter (and no, we had not gone there to eat meat!) when she spotted a chimney. 
Her: daddy 
Me: Yes 
Her: Will you buy me a chimney? 
Me: Aha, where did you see a chimney? 
She pointed me in the direction of the meat guys 
Me: (puzzled) why do you want a chimney for? 
Her: Daddy, you don’t know? 
Me: No. 
Her: When we have a chimney, Father-Christmas will come down the chimney at night and leave for me a present, just like in Peppa Pig
Flabbergasted I started to pull her away. 
Her: Daddy, the chimney! 
Me: OK. Let’s go and explain to mum first. 
Dear friends, there are many prayers in the vicinity of God's throne-room that  sound a lot like my four year old daughter. The angels are holding court and biting their fingernails because they are trying to figure out how best to present a grossly immature or self-serving prayer to the King of Kings. Other prayers are so outlandishly outside of God's purpose and capacity that in the heavenly courts, they sound no better than the conversation with my little girl. 
Let yours not be one of them. As was said of Solomon's request, so may it be said of your request; 

The Lord was pleased that _____________ (insert your name here) had asked for this. (1 king 3:10) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr

Benny Hinn _My Testimony

Why Benny Hinn? Someone asked me this question last week. Today let me endeavor to give you the background story to this, as a member of the organizing secretariat. Sometime last year, a group of servants of God was praying, seeking the face of God as to why the foretold revival in Kenya seemed never to really come, and even the massive crusades we used to have at Uhuru Park seemed to have quietly fizzled out. It was obvious also that there were no megachurches in Kenya and any servant of God who tried rising was hit with scandal after scandal. Why? Our preachers never really get invited to top platforms internationally, our Gospel musicians are mostly only local while Nigeria, Tz, even Rwanda are shaking the continent. The Lord answered them. Our grievous sin had closed the heavens over us. And this sin was how we, as a nation, had treated the servants of God who had been sent here with these graces. They all left in tears, shaking dust off their feet at Kenya. Pst Benny Hinn came t

MyRun Chronicles: I Ran, Stumbled And Fell

After many days of lethargy, self-excuses, and downright bad behaviour , I returned to the road. Ok, it wasn't a road in the real sense of the word but rather a series of grassy paths and dusty trails peppered with rocky inclines.  I like the challenge of off-road running 🏃‍♂️ . It makes me feel like Rambo. Do you know Rambo? Of course, you don't, you millennial.  Well, Rambo was our action-hero. A grotesquely muscular man with dark, curly hair. His hair though, was a little too long for a man. Anyway, he would stalk, strategize, and then blast his enemies into oblivion with huge guns. Later in life, I realized that he was probably a product of American propaganda against their perceived geopolitical threats, mostly the Russians. Rambo was always sweating, and I noted with a certain level of satisfaction that I too was sweating. There was no jungle that Rambo couldn't conquer and running in the less-trodden paths makes me feel like Rambo.  I like to run in familiar pla