Skip to main content

1/2 godly words and a little $$$

So we welcome politicians into our churches. No problem in that. In fact they should be welcome. But when we give such men our pulpits we best be sure that we know them well. There is no need of welcoming to our pulpits men we know don't keep their word, are needlessly violent or even engaged in criminal activities.

Even when they carry wads of cash we must not allow them to assuage their guilty conscience by donating to our projects. For such sacrifices can never clear the conscience (Heb. 9:9)

When we give them our pulpits to speak half-godly words simply because we seek their donations then we pander to their vanity and so fail to point them to the Saviour who alone can cleanse a guilty conscience(Heb.10:22).
We must tell them that they are welcome-but only as part of the listening, worshipping congregation. And if they must donate, let us accord them the same treatment as other donating congregants; perhaps a brief salutary acknowledgment of their presence but no more.
Christ must remain the only VVIP in our congregations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part I

At the turn of every year, we have a long-standing family tradition of sitting down to flip through T.V. channels. We watch various ministers and performers with different groups of people ushering in the new year in style (with my wife- the children now prefer to be outside blasting those darn fireworks) . However, even after years of midnight sofa-slouching, I still can’t decide who between the ministers and the performers say the most outrageous things. For some reason, the moment seems to turn every charismatic minister worth his salt into some kind of prophet. Pastors, evangelists, apostles, and even the odd comedian feel compelled to utter a 'word' or two for the new year. Often, t hese 'prophetic moments' are highly charged interludes with MOGs & WOGs (Men & Women Of God) giving 'ecstatic utterance' as their listeners rapturously respond with 'Amen!' and ‘I receive!’ This is all good and okay. The problem, however, is that these pr...

How I Received My First False Prophecy For 2024-Part II

At the turn of the year,  our popular comedian, Churchill  ‘partnered’ with the equally popular songbird Christina Shusho, to deliver what was to be an epic cross-over combo of comedy and music. I was a little confused when he started the show with a barrage of popular ‘prophetic’ pronouncements.  Like a proper Kenyan, I dutifully (sic) received mine. It went something like this; “This is the year of your double portion!” And just like that, I received my first false prophecy of 2024. The scriptures have several guardrails around prophecies. First, because those who proclaim them often invoke the Name of God. And God doesn’t like to be misrepresented. Secondly, people generally take prophecies seriously and shape their lives around what has been spoken. Thirdly, there can be at least three sources of revelatory words: The Holy Spirit of God (2 Peter 1:21) The human mind (Jeremiah 14:14*) Evil spirits (Acts 16:16-18, 1 John 4:1) Therefore, it is impor...

My Run Chronicles: In The Footsteps Of Eliud Kipchoge

1818 hrs: I got home in a rush. I was determined to make the most of the evening. It had been nearly two weeks since my last run. I couldn’t miss this one again. Casting off my work clothes, I hurriedly donned my running gear. In no time I was off to a brisk start, anxious to finish before darkness set in.  It had rained all week except the previous night. That was a good sign. The trails would neither be muddy nor dusty—a perfect evening for jogging.  The shorter, less adventurous routes would do for the day.   Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. (Prov.4:26) 2km:  My legs signaled their first complaint. I was feeling heavier than usual. My breathing was getting more and more labored. I hadn't gained weight. I don’t gain weight. Or had I? "Must be the two inert weeks" I mumbled under my breath. As I turned a corner, a bodaboda (motorbike taxi) guy came into view. He waved vigorously and shouted, "mkimbizi!" (runner!). I was n...